The Genie

‘Know Thyself’ (Thales)
 

I couldn’t believe my luck when I rubbed the lamp and a genie popped out and so our conversation began.


Genie: I can grant you one wish sir…


Me: Come on mate, I’ve read the books, I should get at least three wishes!


Genie: Look, you’re lucky I popped out at all, you shall only get one wish and not only that but your wish must be understood by me so I can carry it out.


Me: Well that’s fine, I’ve spent my life working in an antique shop and have rubbed literally thousands of lamps in anticipation of this moment. My wish is simple, I want conscious entities to be subject to metaphysical will to evolutionary consciousness independent of a moralising agency!


Genie: Of course I can do anything you ask but I don’t quite understand, please explain what you mean.


Me: Well what this would mean for me and all beings that have the ability to experience consciousness in the natural course of their lives, is that when they die they are born into the next available body brought into the universe that is able to experience consciousness and because my wish is metaphysical will to evolutionary consciousness this will happen indefinitely and what is important is that this rule of nature means that all knowledge of past lives is lost in death. I feel this is important because whatever happens to us in this life, however which way we die, it would not be good to know of our death or to remember the people we would never again see.


Genie: This is fine, I understand, but I do wonder why you don’t just ask for Heaven for everyone?


Me: Genie, what I describe is Heaven for everyone! I cannot conceive anything better than the ability to experience evolution for an eternal duration.


Genie: But what about evil and pain which are prevalent on evolutionary Earths?


Me: Evil and pain do exist and this is tragic, but for consciousness to exist in evolutionary development  this immediately implies there is the ability to understand that others can feel pain and so conscientiousness is the twin that is born at the same time as consciousness and so the opportunity to reduce evil and pain exists with consciousness at all times.


Genie: What about poverty on Earths?


Me: The removal of poverty is something than can be done if there is the will to do it, it is not evolution’s fault there is poverty, it is only ours and because there is conscientiousness poverty can be eradicated.


Genie:  True I guess, ok, I can do this.


Pause


Genie: It is done, because of the nature of your wish you just have to trust I have rendered it the reality and because you chose something spiritual and not material, no-one will ever believe it has been achieved.


Me: This is true, but that’s ok, I mean even if you didn’t complete your end of the bargain at least I can reflect upon the fact there is the hope it is true and that’s pretty satisfying. In fact, the truth is,  it is best I don’t know whether you actioned it or not, because if you did and everyone knew this, there would be cosmic chaos as when the going got tough people would just commit suicide to escape a difficult Earth and there would therefore never be progress past a prehistoric existence. Ha-ha, this is a by-product of my wish and I suppose my second wish if I had one, I mean for it never to be known to be the truth through the scientific method or any other means.


Genie: Indeed. Ok , I must now go back to the bottom of the lamp, but it has been good doing business with you. I’ll be honest in fact, you’ve swayed me, I think I’ll retire now as I wouldn’t want anyone to give me another wish and therefore overrule yours. Hee-hee, seems you have in the end had three wishes come true, because I won’t let anyone else have a wish subsequent to yours.


Me: Funky chickens! You have made my life genie, thank-you and goodnight.


On placing the lid back upon the lamp, my encounter with the genie was over and I went and made myself a nice cup of tea.